This article has been contributed by Tiffany Threadgould, TerraCycle’s Chief Designer. TerraCycle makes affordable, eco-friendly products from a wide range of different non-recyclable waste materials.
Looking for a refreshing alternative to throwing away your toothpaste tubes? This easy do-it-yourself project upcycles your empty tubes into a simple toothbrush holder. Upcycling materials like these are a great way to reuse without costing a mint.
* 5 empty toothpaste tubes
* clear tape
* hole punch
* ribbon or plastic lanyard
* binder clips
1. Collect five Colgate® toothpaste tubes. Clean them by cutting off the bottom and slipping your scissors into the side seam. Flatten them out and clean with soap and water.
2. Cut four tubes to 3 ½” x 4 ½” and one tube into a 3 ½” x 3 ½” square. Fold down the top ½” of the four rectangular tubes and tape.
3. Take one of the four rectangles and punch holes every ½” along the two tall sides and along the short bottom side that is not folded. Use this punched piece as a template and punch holes in the exact same spots on the other three rectangular pieces.
4. To punch the small square piece, line up the short punched side of the rectangle piece with any side of the short piece. Repeat punching holes for the other three sides of the square using the short side of the rectangular piece as a template.
5. Then punch two holes near the center of the square. This will be the bottom of the container and the holes will be for drainage.
6. Match up two large pieces and lace up one side tying it off at the top and bottom. Open it up. On one of the non-laced ends, attach to the next rectangular piece in the same way with the printed sides facing out. Repeat for each additional rectangular piece. When you’ve laced all four pieces, connect the two end pieces together and lace creating a cube with your pieces.
7. Match up the square piece with the bottom of the container. Use binder clips to hold it in place. Lace around the bottom of the container and tie it off. You’re ready to put your upcycled toothbrush holder into action.
Tip: This toothbrush holder can also double as a pencil holder!
If you have completed this project and still have more toothpaste tubes and other oral care products to upcycle, be sure to sign up for TerraCycle’s Colgate Oral Care Brigade and send them in!
Colgate® has partnered with eco-innovator TerraCycle™ to help provide a second life for Colgate® toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes and their packaging materials by converting waste materials into fun and unique products sold at major retailers!
Every time you buy a Colgate® product, you and your organization can help divert toothbrushes, empty toothpaste tubes, and packaging from the landfill by sending it to TerraCycle. For each approved item received, 2¢ will be paid to the non-profit organization or school of your choice.
Participation in the Colgate® Oral Care Brigade™ is completely free! There are no sign-up fees and all the shipping is covered by the program. All of the oral care items sent to TerraCycle will be transformed into new cool products.